Sunday, March 29, 2015

Our IVF Journey

Our IVF journey started on November 5, 2014.  After two and half years of Lance and I trying on our own, and 5 pregnancy losses, we felt that it was time for IVF.  Lance and I looked into different IVF options-getting familiar with different facilities, doctors and options and decided that our best odds would be at the Utah Fertility Center right up the freeway from us in Pleasant Grove, which we had been going to for our initial infertility check ups and appointments.

 On the day of our initial IVF appointment, I started my period and it only helped to confirm that we needed IVF and this was the right thing to be doing.  Any woman/couple who has been through infertility knows the heartache of getting your period when you hoped this month would be 'the one.'  Having started my cycle that morning, it allowed for us to move forward with the calendar and not have to wait until it came.  All good things.  

   I'll never forget sitting at the appointment at the Utah Fertility Center as the nurse Chelsey went over our personal calendar.  It was really happening!  Lance and I held hands and we could feel the spirit so strongly.  All my fears about the expense of the procedure were washed away, and I knew we would be taken care of.

After the appointment, I had happy tears, knowing that we were doing the right thing.  I loved having the calendar-it made the future baby or babies seem so real and so close!  My favorite thing about the calendar was that we would find out if we were pregnant on my birthday!!  
Our IVF Calendar-November side!

December side!  The different colors represent either the start/end of a medicine, appointment, or significant date.

Now for some awesome IVF pictures--the part of IVF no one talks about...
The medicine spread set up the night before so we were ready in the morning.  At its worst, I was doing three shots a day.  
The bottom dresser drawer became dedicated to housing the different medications.  Note the sharps container-yikes!
Me proudly holding the calendar up on the last day I had to do an injection. 
Very last shot--trigger shot taken the night before we did the egg retrieval!!
Very last shot!!
Morning of the egg retrieval-about to go in to be put out and have 13 eggs taken out.  So exciting!!
The happy couple!  By the way, I couldn't wear makeup because of the surgery...don't think I had totally let myself go:)
This is a picture of the sharps container emptied out and represents all the hard work mommies go through with IVF!  It was quite the adventure!  We're so grateful for science:)


No comments: