Sunday, December 4, 2011

Connie Gayle Bingham


Twenty-four years ago today my mother passed away. I was about three weeks from turning 4 and for this reason any memories of her are void. The events surrounding her death are heavy and sad, but I am grateful for the goodness that she possessed.

She was born the second daughter to Daniel and Dorothy Mineyard in Detroit, Michigan. Her father died in a work accident when she was only three years old and her mom passed away when she was thirteen. She was then raised by her step-dad until she met my father at the age of 17. They met in high school and shortly after were married and my oldest brother, Jamie was on the way. He paved the way for seven more kids to follow totaling 3 boys and 5 girls.

The most prized possession my mother left behind (excluding her children) is a journal she kept starting about five years prior to her death. In this journal she talks about her testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ and her conversion; her children and pregnancies; and other day to day rantings. I love reading her thoughts and seeing her writing.

What I know about her is limited to what older siblings and her sister remember of her. She was a great cook, a wonderful seamstress, loved being pregnant and having babies, a horrible housekeeper, and a simple woman. I wish I knew more but in time I'll have that opportunity.

Years after her fourth child was born, Gina, she felt that there was a son who still needed to come to her family. She convinced my dad and three girls later their son was finally born. My youngest brother, Marty was barely two when she passed away.

My husband has done family history on her side and it has been such a blessing to get to know her better in this way. About two months ago we did the initiatories for Dorothy Minyard and Daniel Minyard-her parents! It was a spiritual experience, one that helped me feel closer to my mom. I am excited to get sealed in proxy with my husband acting as her mom and dad.

I look forward to having a relationship with my mom. Oftentimes I wonder how different my life and personality would be if she had been here. Her absence is all I have ever known. This trial has taught me so much and strengthens my desire to be the best mom I can be.

1 comment:

Rocks In The Wash said...

Nikki, what a sweet and dear tribute to your mother. The picture you posted of her looks like you! I can't get over how much you look like her... it must be the eyes and the smile.

I miss seeing everyone over at Rock Canyon, and hope you are enjoying Wasatch.

I hope you have a wonderful Chistmas holiday! XXOOs AAndrus